Monday, August 30, 2010

School Room Finished!


Finally...in my 3rd yr of homeschooling and I've finally completed our school space. Our dining room is also our schooling area, although the entire house is really used in one way or another. In this picture is our shelves, which I think look messy in the picture, but there is order to them. The top shelf is our games, the next shelf is manipulatives, boxes for all writing material, tape, glue, staples, then two shelves of bins for each child, and the last shelf holds empty folders, notebooks, and boxes that don't fit anywhere else. Next to the shelves we have plastic drawers with craft supplies and paper on top.

My kids are color coded - I got the idea off of one of the many websites I've read. I've given them a color and they have everything from plates and cups, to little toothbrush holders in their color, along with their school supplies. This may sound insane, but it makes my kids take responsibility for their things. And it helps them remember that they left something out and it wasn't someone else...if it's their color, they left it out.  I'm sure there's some psychological reason someone may say I'm hindering them by color coding them or not really teaching them something or others by doing this or maybe just that I'm OCD...in the end it works for us and helps us keep order ~ so for now ~ my kids are color coded ;o)

At the end of the day we all need to find what works best in our families and in our homes to help us have an orderly home.  My new venture is making my own laundry detergent which I took the recipe from a great blog that is full of ideas and tips for large families and homeschooling families ~ www.raisingolives.com ~ I've been so blessed by many of her posts and the other mom's posts. I will be trying the detergent, I made yesterday, and hoping I like it.  I will also be trying to cook and freeze meals which she also talks about on her site.  Its exciting learning new ways to care for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment